Thursday, October 08, 2009

Our Own Project Runway - Of Sorts


I'm one of those people who likes to put their best appearance forward if possible.

I'm a firm believer in "if you look good you'll feel good".

I also believe, even though it can be an unfair judgement, outward appearances can and will define the view in which others see you.

We often have to manage perceptions versus the reality of the situation.

First impressions count and more often than not an assessment will be made from what someone is wearing rather than what they have going on inside of them.

As a result I try to put my best foot forward on a daily basis. It is true I will go to the store without makeup or in workout clothes/sweats from time to time but during the week when I am on the job and representing not only myself but the company, I do what I can to be my best self visually.

I have this thing about raising your own personal standards too and trying/wanting to motivate those around me to do the same. It is easy peasy to get comfortable and in a rut.

Today we did a little let's see what you're wearing fashion show.

I work with well over 95% men so this was almost too funny for words.

They were all in button down long sleeve shirts, slacks, and dress shoes. I noticed who was ironed and who wasn't. What can I say? I have an eye for detail.

When I pointed out one of the dudes' shirts was wrinkled he promptly told me it was ironed this morning and replied, "I didn't realize we were on Project Runway. Tomorrow I will wear a 3 piece suit to catch up."

I almost lost it. It was the funniest thing I had heard all day. Thankfully he said it with a smile on his face and I'm pretty sure he knew my comment was from a place of love and wanting him to represent his best self.

I wonder if he'll actually follow through tomorrow. He has the personality in which he just might do so.

Oh and since I told you what they were wearing I should probably tell you what I am in.

Today's choice is a v neck black draped jersey bubble dress belted with a skinny black belt that has a shiny silver buckle. I chose my black rounded toe heels. My hair is in a side part low ponytail pulled back by a silver accented hair tie. I'm rocking conservative silver hoop earrings and since it was chilly this morning I grabbed my zebra print trench coat for an added layer. My briefcase is a red faux croc bag.

Peace and Love Peeps.

No comments: