Sunday, October 12, 2008

Weekly Challenge #50

This week's challenge is on the recommendation of Ace and is derived from an Oprah show last week.

Yes, Ace and I watch Oprah. From time to time, we'll discuss the show. Don't hate. This is how we roll. I bet you thought we only clowned on another and talked about music. We're deeper than that people!

Ok, enough digression. This is important.

The challenge this week is to forgive.

To quote Dr. Ned Hallowell, "To understand forgiveness, you must understand what it is not. Forgiveness is not turning the other cheek. Forgiveness is not running away. Forgiving someone does not mean that you condone what the person has done, nor does it mean that you invite them to do it again. It doesn't mean that you don't want the offending person to be punished. It doesn't mean that you forgive the offense, nor does it mean that by forgiving you tacitly invite bad things to happen again. It doesn't mean that you won't defend yourself."

You can read more of his wisdom and what it does mean here. Really good stuff and is from a book I plan to pick up one of these days too.

If a man can forgive the son who killed his family, I'm pretty sure we can find it in ourselves to forgive too. Besides, it is one of the best gifts you can give to yourself.

I speak from experience. Forgiveness has the possibility of setting you free.

I challenge you to entertain and quite possibly embrace the process of forgiveness.

Peace and Love Peeps.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ummm Hmmm. I second that (e)motion.

Live.Love.Eat said...

I do agree so it's really bad that I can say there is one person in this world that I don't want to forgive. The anger isn't holding me down but I also never want to look in their general direction as long as I stand. Hmmmmm. Sad.