Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Do They Go Away?

So here I sit this afternoon and evening with the phone ringing off the hook.

The great invention of caller id lets me know it is not anyone I know and as such most likely do not want to talk with.

I did my best to ignore the dang phone but since I was working from home and asked a few folks to return my call at my home # versus my office or cell, I couldn't exactly silence the ringer or take the phone off the hook.

When I say ringing off the hook it is no exaggeration. Literally every 15 minutes this 800 # kept calling.

Did they leave a message? Of course not. They just kept on calling and calling and calling.

I'm thinking to myself I am on the national do not call registry so it more than likely has to do with you know who. Yep. The ex that won't seem to go away.

Finally I had enough. I answer the phone in the sweetest voice I could muster and lo and behold it was someone trying to track him down.

How many more freaking creditors, agencies, or whatever organization they are with are going to call and have me tell them he doesn't live here, that I am the ex, and I have no idea how to get in touch with him?

It's true I don't know how to reach him anymore as in his true fashion, he's moved on from the last known contact information I had.

My attorney will be able to track him down in time for our rendezvous in February I am sure. You can find just about anyone these days with their legal name, birth date, and ssn unless they have gone underground.

So peeps that call me at home, I just might be changing my home phone number. I've grown tired of the traces of him and the endless phone calls where I have to constantly explain over and over that this is not a good number to reach him at and that I don't know how to reach him.

It never fails. One phone call is not enough. They call at least two more times. On that third phone call Mo gets bitchy and then they finally stop calling. For at least three months. Or another agency pops up in their place.

I've grown tired of it. I'll keep you posted if and when I change my number. It will probably be in January. Oh won't that be fun? Figure out how many people, offices, etc. I need to let know of my phone number change and then contact them all. Maybe I will just get rid of the land line all together.

So I finish off the night with the thought of do they ever go away? I thought that is what divorce was about. Especially ours since we have no children or other ties to one another.

It was supposed to be a clean break. I know the memories are still there and I am not asking for those to go away as they are part of my history, part of what makes me who I am.

But can the calls stop? Universe please. I beg of you.

2 comments:

kimmyk said...

Alright, I'll stop drunk dialing you.

Mo said...

Kimmy, I'd welcome a drunk dial from you. :)