Monday, June 25, 2007

My Civic Duty



I never did tell you how my afternoon opened up the other day did I?

I was called to do my civic duty.

To jury duty peeps.

To see the wheels of justice go round and round. To decide the fate of a fellow human beings actions.

Who am I kidding? I was called to sit in a room with a group of my fellow citizens for hours on end only to find out our services were not needed.

But here's the kicker. I may be called again this week. Apparently my city likes to send you a summons for an entire month. Not just one day. An entire month. You have to call after 5:00 PM the night before to find out if your "services" are needed at the courthouse the next day.

Fun times I tell you.

Last week my day started out by being wanded at the security gate. Apparently my lap top was setting it off and the security guard got his security on. He decides it is in his best interest to wand me, even though he said, "You can't be hiding much dressed like that but this will be fun for me."

Um, excuse me? Freak getting his rocks off much?

And I know you want to know what I was wearing after a lead in like that. I was in a black jersey wrap dress with the trusty black pointed heels on.

Upon that lovely encounter, I entered the juror's room and proceed to sit on the back bench in the far corner closest to the power outlet.

I look around at my fellow citizens and wonder to myself, "When did it become acceptable to show up to a courthouse, to serve on a jury potentially, in a pair of sweats? In a t-shirt and pair of jeans?"

Peeps, am I missing something here? Am I expecting too much?

You know how I feel about what people wear on planes (PJ's are not cool by me) and now to a courthouse you're gonna' wear that?

I'm not saying you need to be dressed to the nines but really? I think a little bit of respect is in order.

So after getting over my shock, we watch a little video and are told to sit tight.

Literally. Sit tight.

We are allowed to use the restroom and if you are a smoker, you can go to your car and smoke there but other than that, you need to say in this room so as not to interact with witnesses, attorneys, the people involved with the case, etc.

Oh what fun this is going to be. So, I proceed to take my lap top out and get to work. I'm getting my stuff done and other than the hard bench, I'm cool with the situation. No phone calls. No people stopping by my office to ask a question, to chat...just me and my numbers.

After sitting there for four + hours, one of the judges comes in to tell us we are free to go. Two cases plead guilty and the witnesses for two other cases didn't show so the state couldn't proceed on this particular day.

Oh and hey don't forget to call next week and be sure to cash your reimbursement mileage and pay for the day on your way out.

So there you have it, my afternoon opened up because the wheels of justice turned round and round.

I feel like such the contributing member to society.

4 comments:

Webmiztris said...

""You can't be hiding much dressed like that but this will be fun for me."

a guard would have to be pretty damned hot to get away with saying something like that...LOL

I had to do an 18-month grand jury duty last year and IT SUCKED. I feel your pain. It's just such a pain in the ass!

Addy said...

People suck. That is why I hate them. :)

Oddly enough, I've NEVER been called for jury duty.

kimmyk said...

I was on jury duty for a month and never got to sit in on one trial. I was so bummed. I wanted a murder trial and to be held up in some dirty hotel smoking ciggies making my own law and order episodes.

That woulda been fun. I'm jealous.

Mo said...

Dawn,
I so feel your pain. How many books did you read while you waited? Did you make friends?
Did you have cute guards to look at because let me tell you, the one who wanded me might have been cute back in the day but now, not so much.


Tammy, Bite your tongue woman. It's gonna happen now. You know the law of averages and Murphy's Law.

Kim,
I'm with you. I was down for some drama, some action...something like what you see on tv but I got nothing. I feel so let down.