Friday, June 01, 2007

Hmmm...?



Right about now you might be asking yourself what do those two images represent other than a quick peek into my world and further evidence I like to take pictures of random stuff and prefer black and white photos?

According to Sam Gosling, author of The Secret Language of Stuff (can't seem to find that book on line; will you please let me know if you do?) and associate professor of psychology at the University of Texas (Hook 'Em!), those two things, among other items, from your home speak volumes about your world.

The June issue of Maxim breaks it down as such:

1. Entertainment Center: Tech signposts are key and a flat screen monster with all the bells and whistles doesn't necessarily mean she's a Grey's Anatomy junkie. "People with the latest and greatest gadgets often crave stimulation," says Gosling.

Translation: You're in for awkward wine-and-cheese parties galore.

Do I fit that bill? A little bit. But I don't think my parties are awkward nor do I have the latest of everything but I do have lots of electronic gadgets.

2. Living Room: If she has re-created a Pottery Barn showroom, you're dealing with a nester. "Lots of pillows indicate an extrovert who wants to craft an inviting environment," explains Gosling. "She needs constant company."

Do I fit that bill? Guilty. In more ways than one. My couch is from Pottery Barn. My decorating choices are either from PB or are totally inspired by them. I have lots of pillows, am an extrovert, want to make you feel welcome in my space and do like people around. However, I don't need constant company. I like alone time too.

3. Bathroom: Peep her toothpaste tube. Does she squeeze or roll? The latter means she's borderline OCD. Also, look for the cap - if she can't keep track of that, she may be the type who constantly loses her phone.

Do I fit that bill? Guilty of rolling and being borderline OCD. If I didn't have that plastic pusher thing (in Longhorn orange I might add) on my tube, it'd be rolled up and kept in place with a clothespin.

4. Library: Does she have a bookshelf? Inspect the selection. If she owns A Million Little Pieces, any Oprah Book Club book, or He's Just Not That Into You, you're about to take out a lady who has no idea that she's (a) annoying, (b) needy, or (c) corpse like in bed.

Do I fit that bill? Somewhat. I have a full bookshelf with some Oprah picks/recommendations, did read A Million Little Pieces, and do own a copy of He's Just Not That Into You. I could be a or b but definitely not c.

5. Bedroom: An elevated bed indicates a girl wants to put on a pedestal, while something low, like a futon, means she'll be quick to invite you in and even quicker to kick you out. Candles? Check the wax. "Unused means she wants to appear contemplative but really isn't," explains Gosling.

Do I fit that bill? It's not way the heck up there but according to Pete, it is elevated. I think it is at a normal height. It's not low by any means. Candles? Do we even need to go there? I got wax everywhere.

6. Kitchen: "The kitchen is a key to her conscientiousness," explains Gosling. "If there isn't a crumb in sight, expect a task-oriented person who doesn't get caught up in the chaos of the moment." That means she's cool so long as you're not a total mess.

Do I fit that bill? Guilty. I mean come on, I'm willing to start a fire to clean as I go when cooking. The only crumb you're likely to find is kitty food crumbs by their bowls. And they don't call me ice princess at work for nothing.

7. Stuffed Animals: Do you see dozens or just one, her grandmother's teddy bear? "The former is a girly girl who doesn't want to grow up, while the latter is the sentimental type who values her connections to the past. (She's grounded.)

Do I fit that bill? Yes I do. Y'all know about Spookie. 'Nuf said.


8. Breakfast Nook: Scattered bills scream credit card debt, but if they're neatly stacked and sliced with a letter opener, she's nice and punctual. Say hello to 25 minutes of movie previews!

Do I fit that bill? Kinda. I don't have a breakfast nook. My bills, even when the desk was a mess, were neatly stacked and are always sliced with a letter opener. As for being nice and punctual, it can be hit or miss.

If you made it this far, congratulations! I know it was a long one. Thank the man for reading this issue and letting me know so I could let you know too.

Let me know how you stack up. I think Dr. Gosling is kinda on to something.

Peace and Love Peeps.






1 comment:

Chris Travis said...

Hi Mo!

Just an FYI. Sam Gosling's book, The Secret Life of Stuff, does not come out until late April of 2008. You can pre-order it on Amazon, but the reason you can't find it...is because it is not on the shelves yet.

I know Sam and our architecture firm and a process we use call Truehome is discussed extensively in the last chapter of his new book...so if you are into how your home reflects who you are, and how you can modify your living space to support your goals, values and emotional connections to he past, you should check it out.

The website is called Truehome.net. It is still in a beta phase, but there is plenty there to see and do, even though it is not fully finished.

Also, I blog on that subject at the Architecture of Life blog.

You can find both by simply searching on google for their names.