Monday, March 13, 2006

Adventures from the Road

So, I am left to wonder, does everyone who spends a lot of time in the car, driving from place to place, city to city, state to state have conversations in their head like I do? I figure out soooo much when I am on the road. I'm convinced the open road and mundane act of driving long stretches of road by myself allows me to have the quiet time most others crave. Even when I have the tunes rocking, the cell phone is ringing, etc. I find myself having those conversations and thoughts I need to have to work my stuff out. I'm letting my inner voice have the time it needs. Thank god for road trips.

I once read an article about business travelers and according the article, I am nowhere near the stereotypical road warrior. I'm not a white male in my mid to late 40's and I definitely am away from home more than 6 days a month. Heck, there are some weeks I have to wake up and look at the phone for an area code to determine what state I am. City? Ha, thank god for those information binders you can find in most hotel rooms. Don't even get me started on time zones.

Don't get me wrong. I have no real complaints here. I love what I do and that is more than most people can say. I just feel sometimes I live my life out of a suitcase and that I spend more time in hotel rooms than I do in my own place. I know this won't be my life forever. I can't deny that I have days where I dislike the travel though. Bottom line for today...here I sit, in another city, in another hotel room (although it's the room I always request and get in this hotel), with a suitcase on the floor and a bag of salad in the fridge. For those who think business travel is glamorous and adventurous, allow me to say, it most certainly is not.

Ok, off of my soapbox...I'm off to eat some salad from a bag with a plastic fork and a green tea from the vending machine.

2 comments:

annabkrr said...

I don't no HOW you do it, girl.

Mo said...

Sometimes I don't either. It's all about putting one foot in front of the other and just doing I guess. Have the battle is simply showing up...