Friday, November 23, 2007

Good Eats...SK Style

What: An indulgent meal

When: Saturday, November 10, 2007

Where: Tacoma's Southern Kitchen

Who: Ace, his cousin, me...and later M2 and family

We've talked about this place before. September 23rd to be exact. We went back to punish and treat ourselves.

We saved our caloric intake for the day. Literally, after multiple texts and a few calls, no one ate breakfast or snacked.

See, this is what we have decided you need, wait, make that HAVE to do so you can truly savor the experience and don't feel so guilty about indulging in the food we grew up on. Food loaded with bad stuff that tastes oh so good. Food that clogs the arteries and expands the waistline among other body parts.

Food like this...

Sweet tea. In a mason jar. And y'all, when I say sweet tea, I mean *sweet*.

And just like at your momma's, the glass never ran empty.
Does biscuit and country gravy say southern to you? It does me.

I had to try theirs. The last two times I have been there it was too late in the day and they ran out. But this day? This day the biscuit and gravy angel was on my side.

Allow me to say, perfection. The dish definitely gets my stamp of approval.
My main dish selection was the cajun catfish strips with cornbread dressing, red beans, and mashed taters. I shared my dish with Ace, as he shared his with me too, so I could be sure to satisfy the fried chicken craving.
Here's the fried chicken. Scrumptious huh? Ace likes his meals with greens, rice with gravy, and cornbread dressing. His cousin chose the whole catfish, fried okra, and red beans and rice. Later he asked for light bread.

Do y'all know what light bread is? In case you don't, it's a Southerner's way of asking for white bread. These two lovelies waited on us.

Meet Ruby (not her real name but what we affectionately call her amongst ourselves). She is on the left.

Talk this day was all over the place, including being shot at, and of course the obligatory smack, trash talking from the kitchen.

Good times y'all. Good times.

As you have come to know and love, we feel life is too short not to have dessert from time to time.

I selected the award winning peach cobbler once again. Ace chose the sweet potato pie with whip cream.


Once again, Ace was able to finish his pie and I ended up taking only a few bites and taking the rest to go.

We hung out, talked, laughed, observed, watched some football, and waited.

M2 and family joined us after we finished chowing on the grub. They had to make a trip to the airport and run another errand before they joined us.

I don't recall what they ordered and at this point Ace had commandeered the camera so just know it was more soul food.

There were lots of other pictures taken but the only one I can share with you would be this little diddy.

How cute are these Chucks?

The other shoe in the background is her daddy's.

So, after a bit more time in the joint, we departed ways. When I got home I reeked, and I mean reeked of fried food. Not so good y'all. Lets just say I promptly took a shower and changed.

I'll remember that smell the next time I crave the goodness of Southern Kitchen...

3 comments:

Summer said...

That's the way I like it.
Uh huh, Uh huh!

Cheryl said...

Wowsie! Total comfort food. I think I would have been full after the biscuits and gravy. The fried food looks delicious.

Mo said...

Cheryl,
I was but paced myself. Oh and I shared too. Family style....that is how we do.