Monday, June 09, 2008

That's Incredible

I'm totally going to out myself.
By the time we're done here, you are either going to think
  1. I am more crazy than you already do
  2. You'll be inspired
  3. You'll be reaching out and asking me to come organize your stuff too
I apologize for the not quite so good picture quality. I took these after a few mango margaritas last night.
Let me set the stage for you. We (Maricel, J, Drea, and I) were settling in for a meal during game 2 at my place last night.
J asked for a certain sauce to add to his meal and this is when it all began.
He noticed I label my spices and seasonings in this manner. I keep them organized on a word document, complete with the expiration dates of seasonings and sauces noted in the box.
At this point, J is exclaiming, "That's incredible!" Over and over he's saying this. I'm feeling a tad exposed so I'm telling him to get out of my kitchen. Over and over.
Then he opens the fridge and takes note of how my condiments are stored. I put like items with like items and for some reason he was impressed with the two types of mustard.
I will also label tupperware items with what is in the container and the date of storage.
Drea made a good point when she said it makes sense because of my travel schedule; this is a necessary evil. Who wants to be surprised by some rank food in the fridge upon their return?And I'd be remiss if I didn't point out the handwritten list of booze inside my bar/storage area. Beer and Goose is chilling in the fridge 90% of the time; no need to list a staple.
It may seem like it takes a long time to do this but it really doesn't. All you need is some masking tape and a sharpie.
Overkill? Maybe. Organizational madness just right for Mo? Check.
The real reason I started this? Drea is partly right but the true source is inspired by my Mom. She hung on to food items like none other. I understand the source of her need to do so but growing up, and cleaning the pantry out after her passing, instilled in me the desire to be diligent in this area of my home.
Call me crazy but this is part of what makes me...well me...
Peace and Love Peeps.

7 comments:

Brad said...

I'm totally calling Betty Ford's in the morning -

some wind eh?

Mo said...

That wind is crazy!

Don't call Betty Ford. Come over for a cocktail!

Summer said...

I feel like such a slob now.

fiwa said...

Nah, you're not crazy, you're just uber-organized. If that's what makes you happy, then I'm all for it.

I know *I* will never attain that level of organization; it's just not in my personality.

Now that booze list, on the other hand, that is totally impressive. :) You got something for everyone on that list!

Happy day!
fiwa

Mo said...

Summer, No need to feel like a slob. I feel all OCD.

Fiwa, When you coming over for a cocktail? LOL

kimmyk said...

omg. i thought i was bad. shiiit. girl you win.

lol.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I helped a friend organize their kitchen and let's just say that the herbs and spices were about 12 years old....someone would have surely died from some shit cooked with those...