Sunday, September 02, 2007

Living Green


Cue up Jack Johnson's 3 R's song (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle) from the Curious George soundtrack.

One of the things I try to do in my daily life is be green by making choices that are good for our environment.

I am not perfect by any means. I used to be so much better about recycling than I am now.

Where I can, I use energy efficient light bulbs.

Biodegradable cleaning supplies and I get along very well. I have not been able to switch to dish washing or laundry products just yet though.

I unplug appliances and always turn a light off when not in the room.

I prefer organics.

I either choose to not take a bag from a store or I use a canvas tote/my TJ's bag. When I do get plastic bags, I either recycle them back at store level drop off locations or use to take out the kitty waste.

I will use a piece of foil over and over until it falls apart. Saran wrap and Ziploc bags too.

I make two sided copies at work. If I make a mistake on a printed out file, I flip the paper over in the printer and use it again. Sometimes to the chagrin of co-workers.

I write on envelopes and also use them over and over to tote stuff to and fro. I donate magazines to hospitals, leave them in the office breakroom, or use them as "paint catchers" when I am creating with paint and paper.

Inspiration came in a few other forms recently. More ideas of going green. Thank you Noell Hyman and Ali Edwards!

Noell has a great idea of reusing the subscription cards from mags. Before I saw her idea, I would recycle the little cards but only in the form of recycling the paper. One of the first things I will do with any publication is tear those suckers out.

Ali's use of envelopes with her daily something idea/project provides inspiration as well.

Y'all watch out because the possibilities I see are endless. You just may see something from these inspirations in a little something something I make and send your way.



Since it is getting to be fall and these are some of my favorite colors, I selected fall colors this morning on my first go 'round. Instead of using just one color for each, I got a little crazy and thought outside of my normal box and mixed the paints up from one sheet/envelope to the next, which made for some very pretty combinations.

In case you are wondering what colors those are, I used maroon, bittersweet orange opaque, stonewedge green, latte opaque, and vintage wine semi-opaque. All are from Delta Ceramcoat.

And the reason for the jambox instead of the ipod, surround sound, or digital tv music choice? It was after 1:30 AM. I wanted to be respectful of my neighbors and I hadn't imported Paolo Nutini's These Streets cd to my iTunes yet. By the way, that is a great cd and I recommend it just as Ace did.

They are almost all the way dry, on both sides now but I am going to wait until tomorrow to play around with them some more. In my mind's eye I already see a September cash flow list for the cork board and something to incorporate with an art journal page.

I hope you might be inspired to see everyday things and what we would normally discard in a new way too.

Peace and Love Peeps.

4 comments:

kimmyk said...

You're one crafty B let me tell you. The way you crafty people see things amazes me. Seriously.

Very fall-ish colors. Very pretty!

kimmyk said...

Okay so I came back to see if there was an update and decided to go snooping at the daily something site and holy crap...again, you crafty ones amaze me.

I can't wait to see what you do with the envelopes.

Mo said...

There were no updates because I couldn't go to sleep until well after 7:00 AM PST.

I fell asleep around 7:30 last night on the couch and didn't wake up until well after 10:30. I tried to sleep but I couldn't so I got crafty.

I'm up now but I need to clean or be a bad a girl and go play, which I really shouldn't do but it sounds so much more fun than being a responsible adult.

Funny thing is my daily horoscope said
"You're tapped into a deep well of good energy and it's most likely expressing itself through creative ideas. Don't be afraid to talk them up to other people, as they won't do any good just sitting there."

Guess I was right on the mark again.

Oh and you are right. There are some amazing things people come up with. I am constantly in awe of what others create.

Summer said...

Take some pictures of what you make. Do you read ac's blog, I Know Not What? She's very artistic like you.