Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Thunderstorms & Clarity

First, let me say I am a firm believer things happen for a reason.

With that being said, there I sit earlier this evening, or late Monday night I should say, and I keep hearing something that sounds like thunder.

Thunder and lightning is a rare occurrence in Western Washington so I dismissed it. I kept on plugging away on the computer. Getting the last minute parts of my presentation for the upcoming training I am doing Tuesday and Wednesday just right.

On my way to the bathroom I noticed a bright flash of light outside the window. There was no mistaking it. We were graced with a good ole fashioned summer thunderstorm! This just happens to be one of my all time favorite things in the world.

I love electric storms. I always have since I was a little girl and I still do to this day. It is one of the things I miss most about the South.

Photo courtesy of this site.

Isn't that a beautiful sight? I know it can cause major damage and heartache but the power and brilliance are quite amazing in my book.

So, now knowing there is an electric storm in the air, I made a mad dash back to the computer to shut it down. Then I promptly laid myself out on the floor of my bedroom and took in nature's wonder.

With my eyes toward the sky, listening to the boom of the accompanying thunder, and the gentle sound of raindrops on the pine needles I kept telling myself to

Be quiet.

Be still.

To enjoy what God placed before me.

It took a few minutes for my mind to settle. It was racing with thoughts of how late it was and how early I had to get up. Of how much I still had left to do and to pack.

Once I was able to dismiss these thoughts I was hit with the realization of although the events with the someone who I allowed to hurt and piss me off a few weeks back happened for a really good reason.

If those events had not transpired, I probably would have continued onward with an internal tug a war, the push and pull I was engaging in. I more than likely would have continued to allow some of the toxicity to be a part of my life.

Even though what happened sucked, I can confidently say I am now at peace with the situation as well as with the current state of the relationship between said person and I.

It was no accident. It was meant to happen. It happened for a reason. A really good one.

I thank the powers that be for setting all of the events in motion.

I also thank, in no particular order other than alphabetically,
Ace
DP
Hasse
JP
Kim
Maricel
Nicki
T

for holding my hand through it, for your kind words, for your insights, for keeping it real, for your willingness to kick ass if needed, and for building me back up. I love you all. I am so very blessed to have you in my life, as friends and family by choice.

Peace and Love Peeps.

4 comments:

kimmyk said...

I *heart* you you sentimental B!

I love storms, just not at 4am when my dogs start freaking out...then it sucks.

Monica said...

I think the same way you do...even though it doesn't always make sense, things happen for a reason. I can't tell you how many times I've seen this happen, so I know it's true.

wendy said...

Yeah, I was really surprised by the story too. I'm a native of Chicago, so I'm used to the extreme weather and storms from there, but not so much out here! I thought it was a truck shining it's lights in our house the first time. =)

Glad to hear you're doing well. The visit with the inlaws is almost over, and I'll be able to surf the blogs more. ;-)

Mo said...

Kim, I heart you too. Smooches.

Monica, Amen sister.

Wendy, It was freaky wasn't it? Cool but totally unexpected. Hope the visit has gone well and looking forward to seeing you around more soon.