Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Dollars and Cents


By now most all of ya' know I am a numbers girl.

It is what I do for a living.

It is how my mind works.

I have an inclination toward analysis.

My checkbook is balanced to the penny.
I hope something that has happened to me twice since the first week of December is not a sign of the times.

I would like to believe this is simple human error.

What am I referring to you might be asking yourself right about now. Or saying just get on with it and tell us Mo.

Overcharges people. Charging me for more than I purchased.
Once at our Cheers in December. Couple of days ago at the grocery store.

I am not talking huge overcharges but I paid more than I should have twice now.

$.02 and $3.84 to be exact. Not enough to warrant a visit back and a discussion with customer service but enough for me to scratch my head in wonder.

So I am just throwing this out there. Check your charges from time to time. You might be giving your money away too.

$3.86 x all of us over a period of time = profits for another

I work too hard to be giving my money away. I bet you do too.

I leave you with this random fact I learned yesterday: In the pioneer days, the symbol for currency was US. The "S" was placed directly over the "U". Over time, people got lazy and, instead of "US" overlapping, they shortened it to an "S" with two lines through it.

Sheesh. These days I think it would be safe to say we have gotten even lazier and more often than not, fail to do the "S" with two lines through it.

I know I am guilty of this.

Peace and Love Peeps.

5 comments:

Tammy said...

I can't like math. Mostly because I suck at it. :)

I dunno. The $3.84 might have made me go back. I think they secretly do that on purpose.

kimmyk said...

lol, oh mo. are you sitting down?
i haven't balanced my checkbook in probably 8 years. i know. jamie says he knows...i have no idea.

i have too much crap to deal with to worry and besides i hardly spend money.

okay okay, i'll start to pay attention from now on. or i'll try to pay attention how's that?

Unknown said...

you know, I never was good at math- counted on my fingers until I was about 20! And then my mind woke up when I started working on a commission basis. Now I memorize that 4 + 7 is 11, 6+7 is 13, and even 3/8 is the same as 37.5 and 6/8 is the same as 62.5. I'm a whiz! But i have to agree with Kimmy, I am not a whiz at managing the check book. But your post made me think: What's the diff between money I'm making on a commission and how much I save when keeping an eye on it all?! Don't both mean more hard earned dollars in my possession? Hmmmm....

Either way, Happy Counting mo!

:) P

BTW thanks for your new year's greeting. it was very sweet... let's get a drink soon...

annabkrr said...

I still count on my fingers.

Mo said...

Tammy, You might be on to something.

Kim, I am glad I was sitting down when I read your comment or else I just might have fallen down. But if Jamie knows, then you're good.

It is just little ole me so I have to keep up with that kind of stuff. Plus, what kind of bean counter would I be if I didn't have my personal finances in order?

Paolo, Good thought to ponder. And I agree...a drink is in order soon. Glad you liked the card. I had fun making it.

Anna, Me too. And when I do math on paper I still carry the 1 over. Literally.