Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Sparky the Spider



I have a friend who hangs outside my front door.

That is not him or her.

About five months ago a spider took up residence directly above my door.

Now I don't normally like spiders. But I thought I would let this one hang out as long as it wanted as it chose my door to make its home.

Most all of the time it is curled up doing whatever it does in the roof area.

Sometimes it will spin a web and hang down. Chilling. Ready to greet whomever is coming and going.

I have been greeted by a newly spun web first thing in the morning.

I have come home to find "dinner" in the web.

We have learned to co-exist.

I believe it is one of God's creatures and we share this planet. If it wants to be my special friend, so be it.

It deserves to live in harmony. Even if this means you have to duck and look up upon entering or exiting my home.

We discussed this yesterday and apparently not everyone shares my views. If I come home and find my spider gone, I will know who and where to look to first.

I have decided to name it Sparky for the following
  1. The presence of its being sparks lots of eeks and ewwws
  2. The presence of its being sparked a little debate yesterday among friends
  3. The person who totally gets where I am coming from has a special connection to a beagle named Sparky

If you are coming by, Sparky is welcome to stay as long as he or she wants. Just remember to look above your head so you aren't surprised. Hopefully one of these days I will be able to take a picture for you...

5 comments:

kimmyk said...

i'm all about cohabitating with GOD's creatures and all that jazz, but OMG...if one ever fell in my hair I would seriously go the eff off. The very idea gives me the willies. LOL!!

I got a special surprise in the mail today and I just wanted to thank you. My days lately have been filled with stress and well, today was no different. I've been telling myself it's how I choose to deal with it or let it affect me that is going to be key for me getting through it. Thank you for thinking of me....It meant more than you know to have someone whose never really met me in "real life" would take the time to do something so sweet. You are very special to me Mo. One of these days...one of these days girlie.

T said...

Iam one of those that eeks and ewwws. You know one of these days you are going to walk out to a billion baby spiders
YUCK

Brad said...

Living in/near the woods we've learned to live with these little lovies. They grow big here - two of them helped me move the couch last week.

Mo said...

Kim,
I wish my feeling had been wrong and I could do more than send you love snail mail style.

I agree...one of these days.

T,
Sparky is waving hi at ya'.

Brad,
If Sparky were that big, I might not have the same feeling.

Does anyone know if male spiders lay babies/eggs? This may be why we have not had the billion baby spiders yet. Sparky just may be a boy...

Summer said...

Oh Lordy.
Where's my Raid?