Thursday, August 02, 2007

Who Knew?







Who knew pumping gas was a place to meet men?



According to The Manual: A True Bad Boy Explains How Men Think, Date, and Mate - and What Women Can Do to Come Out on Top by Steve Santagati, we should always be on top of our game because men are on the look out everywhere, every day, all the time.


His insights, which I just happened to be reading up on last night, proved true this afternoon.

First, yes I am the owner of the above book. When I went to pick up Kimmy's copy of The Four Agreements last night, I came across this book and thought, "Hey, what is the harm? Maybe I will learn something new and it will give me an extra edge." Cuz y'all know I am back out there.

You know. In the dating jungle.

So far it is an easy breezing read in which I have not gained too much insight from other than the common sense stuff. I'm holding out hope for a light bulb moment.

Anywho, so there I am this afternoon. Pumping my gas. Minding my own business and wouldn't you know up walks this dude.

He mills around for a moment or two before he approaches. All the while I am trying to do my best not to make eye contact or even to look in his direction. I see him out of the corner of my eye and I wasn't feeling him. He was attractive but I just didn't feel it.

He walks up, with a nice enough distance between us, and asks if I am single, married, or otherwise involved.

I tell him I am single. He says, "I just wanted to let you know you look exceptionally fine today."

Um, as opposed to when else have you seen me?

I smile and thank him. He says, "So you live around here? You want to go get a drink sometime? How about tonight?"

I tell him I am not looking for anything right now. I am flattered but no thanks.

He keeps pressing. He says, "I am not looking for anything either. Let's just get together and see where it goes."

Um, dude? Did you hear me? NOT interested.

I say once again I am flattered but no thank you.

He then proceeds to say, "Dang girl. You know I got a J-O-B. Why not?"

Um, do you not get the hint? No thank you. And just because you and your friends are dressed alike and you are wearing a badge around your neck does not prove you have employment. You could be part of a work crew or something.

Finally he gets the hint that this is not going to go anywhere. He wishes me a good day and walks away.

Thank the LAWD.

So, I am just saying, if you are looking for a man, hang out at your local gas station pump. They even look there and you might get lucky.

And y'all it is not like I was trying to work it today. I admit there are times when I dress to work it but trust today is not one of them.

I am wearing a black wrap jersey dress with the lowest pair of heels I own, my Joan&David 365 comfort black slingbacks. My hair is in a ponytail with the faux hawk rocking in the front. I am wearing silver hoops and when I was pumping the gas I had my Chanel sunglasses on. Nothing out of the ordinary.

What was out of the ordinary is it made me long for Pete...

2 comments:

kimmyk said...

You say you weren't looking all sexy and shit but from that description, sheesh I might ask ya out for a drink. Rockin' the sling backs...

I am thankful I am not in the dating jungle anymore. I don't think I would do well. I'd probably have to chew my own leg just to get a bite. Hey! I just thought of somethin'-you could always go back to court and see if the pirate is still there fondling his junk...you know the one. HA! Kidding.

Sorry you're missing Pete. It's hard to let go....are you sure it's over between you two?

Mo said...

LOL at the pirate reference!

I am pretty sure it is over between us. It has only been two weeks since the break up and I think I was just caught up in the moment.


I won't deny I miss him but as for the time being, it is not in the cards for us.