Sunday, July 22, 2007

Break Up Update

Alrighty. Let's catch y'all up shall we?

In the interest of time and maintaining some privacy, not all will be shared here but if you have questions or want additional details, I believe you know how to reach me.

Let's back it up about a month and a half. Pete had been withdrawing within himself and I was trying to be respectful. I know the personal things he has and continues to deal with so space was in order. On the flip side, I was dealing with some personal stuff too so we were continuing to see each other and taking it as it comes.

While all this was going on, I was starting to question the future of us. Self examination. Analysis. Living in my head. All the while, wanting to continue to give it a go.

We didn't really talk about things with one another and I could tell he, from some of his actions, really wasn't feeling it like he had been in the past either.

Upon his return from vacation, we were seeing each other but it was starting to feel like it was taking more of an effort to make it happen than in the past where we would just make plans effortlessly.

Knowing he was about to take on extra responsibility that would decrease the amount of spare time he would have available and knowing my life was about to get really busy again decreasing the amount of spare time I would have available, we talked it through and decided we would continue to give it a go.

The next few times we did get together, we were having off moments, off days. Times when I questioned why I was even there.

Let's just say that pretty much is a huge red flag up in your face letting you know this isn't right. That the relationship has run the course. At least it was for me.

So fast forward to my arrival back from Anchorage. The way he answered one question about plans for Friday night let me know he was feeling the same way. So I pushed the envelope so to speak and we broke up while I stood on the curb waiting for the off site airport parking shuttle bus to pick me up.

Neither one of us wanted to to do this on the phone but the opportunity presented itself.

We did meet up Saturday afternoon over here to talk and square away some pending matters. He arrived early and stayed late. We chilled on the patio and talked over beers. We laughed. We toasted to a "good ride while it lasted". And he kept on saying this is the "best breakup ever".

It is possible for two people to break up and maintain friendly. Neither one of us intended for it to end. Neither one of us did the other one wrong. It just happened.

Since we will continue to see each other from time to time, it is important to us both for it not to be too weird. We value each other's friendship. And most importantly, in my mind, respect each other enough for us to not to be petty, mean, insensitive, etc. post break up.

I trust his judgement as a father to break the news to the girls but wish I could talk with them myself. It may happen in a week or two but it wasn't going to happen today/this weekend.

I wish him nothing but the best and know he has the same wish for me.

Here is to toasting the "good ride while it lasted."

CHEERS

5 comments:

Texan in Kuwait said...

Cheers!

It sounds like you all handled it very well. I'm sure it's still sort of tough, but glad it didn't get ugly.

=)

kimmyk said...

I gotta say that it sounds like it went well. Except that whole breaking up on the phone, but sometimes those things present themselves as you said and ya just gotta roll with it. But I'm sending you a big hug...only because "break ups" still hurt.

I think in times such as these a girl needs new heels. Sassy heels.

Cheers indeed.

Mo said...

Yea, that breaking up over the phone is not the way to go. That is why we met up Saturday afternoon.

He really didn't want to do it but I was like let's just do this. So he spoke the words and we ended it.

I am glad it has not turned ugly and am hopeful it will continue to stay this way.

Y'all are right and the hugs are appreciated. It still stings a bit but it was the right thing to do. =( / =)

Unknown said...

Damn Gina! Did we get the gifts back, guess that's what I would have done because I am cheap ass hell. Sounds like a Julia Roberts movie in the making. Maybe we could be extras or something. We could get maybe Tom Cruise to play me. Keep the laugher going.

Mo said...

Ace, He asked if I wanted my gifts back and I simply stated, "They are gifts. You are to keep them."

Guess it was another shocker for him as he was surprised I did not want them back.

You really want Tom to play you? Seriously? I think we can find someone more fitting.