Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Did You Know?

Did you know the average woman uses 12 personal care products daily,
exposing herself to a total of 168 chemicals according to a report called Skin Deep by the Environmental Working Group?






Me either. I came across that little tidbit in the Anchorage paper last week. I thought I would check out their recommended websites to see what risk I was putting myself in.

Before we go further, let's establish



  1. I am not average
  2. I use way more than 12 personal products a day
  3. I try to use natural products, vegan, organic, etc. where I can

For your viewing pleasure and own research, www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep .

Most all of my products put me in a category 3. Good to know.

For grins and giggles, I carried around a piece of paper capturing the items for blogging posterity knowing I was going to blog about this.

The things I do for y'all sheesh. Just kidding! I think there will be either an art journal or scrapbook page down the line capturing this.

Yea, just another way my high maintenance self can be preserved in time. I can't believe I am sharing this with you. Exposing my stuff.

Without further delay, today I used, in the closest order of usage:
1 and 2. Pureology Antifade Complex Hydrate Shampoo and Hydrate Condition Conditioner
3. Skintimate Moisturizing Shave Gel in Glistening Pear with Olive Butter
4. Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser to wash my face
5. Plumeria Shower Gel by Bath and Body Works
6. Totally Nutty Walnut Shell Foot Scrub
7. Pureology ColourMax
8. Frizzease Hair Serum
9. Secret Clinical Strength Anti-Perspirant/Deodorant
10. Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer
11. md Formulations Moisture Defense Daily Hydration Face Lotion
12. G.M. Collin Gel (corrective gel-creme for eyes and lips)used in AM and PM)
13. Bare Minerals Summer Bisque SPF20 (covers blemishes, hyper pigmentation, under eye circles)
14. Bare Minerals Medium Beige SPF15 Sunscreen foundation
15. Bare Minerals Warmth Face Color
16. Bare Minerals Bare Radiance Face Color (use this as my blush)
17. Palladio Brown Eye Liner
18. Loreal Black-Brown Mascara (the one in the gold tube with blue ring)
19. Bare Escentuals Nude Lip Liner
20. Victoria Secret's Beauty Rush I Want Candy Lip Gloss
21. Bare Escentuals Tinted Mineral Veil
22. Pureology InchargePlus Firm Finishing Spray
23. Burt's Bees Hand Salve
24. Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Creme
25. Burt's Bees Milk and Honey Lotion (on my feet)
26. Ralph by Ralph Lauren Perfume

I have not done my nightly routine yet so add two to three more items to the list; a nighttime moisturizer, every other day oil capsule to seriously rehydrate my face, and the Burt's Bees foot stuff. Sorry. I am too lazy to get up and check the exact names right now. The moisturizer and oil capsule are purchased from my aesthetician...she who knows what my skin needs the most.

So, I guess it is safe to say I use about 30 personal products a day.

How about you? More? Less? Same amount?

What are some of the things you can't live without? Weigh in peeps. I am interested.

Sleep, post the nightly getting ready when I have not been out drinking or working a 15 hour for bed routine, is next up. Of course most all of you will be reading this Tuesday day but to me, even though it is well after midnight, it is still Monday.

Don't judge me. It's my world. :)

Peace and Love Peeps.

7 comments:

kimmyk said...

Whoa. If I did all that that you do I'd have to get up at least an hour earlier than normal.

For me I'm quite simple.

1-Noxema in the shower to wash my face.
2-Wash with B&B Works Cherry Blossom shower gel
3-Dove powder anti-deodorant
4-Mary Kay moisturizer
5-Aussie mousse
6-Frizzease Hair serum
7-B&B Works Cherry Blossom lotion
8-Burts Bees or Carmex lip
9-Mary Kay Satin Hands lotion

That's it. I love me some Burt's Bees.

Now I don't feel like I'm taking care of my body comparing lists. I need to pamper my feet more it appears than just the lotion I put on. I'm sorry footsies. I don't wear make up either. Every now and then I'll wear mascara if I'm going out, but never to work. I have long eyelashes and I don't like having any reason for people to look at me and say anything about em.

Interesting list Mo. I miss wearing perfume at times. We're not allowed at work. Patients complain. But they don't say anything about our body lotions that are smelly.

Webmiztris said...

I easily use 25-30 products a day too. I know 'chemical' sounds like a bad word, but I don't feel that most chemicals are necessarily that bad. but who knows? maybe people get cancer from their deodorant or hair dye (actually I know the hair dye one is supposedly true - especially with black hair dye, which I happen to use on myself every month). I guess it's just the chance you take.

Mo said...

Kimmy, Are you peeking in my windows again?

It can take me anywhere from 1.5 hours to 10 minutes to get ready.

You are another long eyelashed sister from another mother. Makes wearing glasses a challenge from time to time.

I took a week and a half off from wearing perfume and I was not so happy. I'm known for my scent. Sounds bad huh? But work peeps will sniff me out in the office. Even if I try to hide they say, "I know you are here because I can smell you."

I can understand patients requesting no perfume wearing though. When I was in the hospital back in February, one of my male nurses was wearing cologne and it took just about everything I had to not hurl.

Dawn, *Mo waves hi to a fellow massive product user*

Anonymous said...

holy crap, you guys wear alot of chemicals on yo faces.
um, wait for it....i only wear bobbi brown eyeliner and mascara, lip liner and lip gloss. i'm such a natural beauty bitch that I don't have to wear anything else, and i have great hair so i don't even wear gel or hairspray.
i know, i know, you hate me....

Carrie said...

That's rather scary. I never stopped to think about the amounts of chemicals we're putting on our bodies, and in our hair every day. I'm a product junkie! I'm in the 30 a day range too, MANY of the same you use. Bare Minerals isn't uhhhh..*that* bad, is it? I mean they go on and on about natural minerals. Yeah..that makes me feel better. Aren't VS's Beauty Rush lip glosses uber yummy?

Mo said...

Tina, I always knew you were a natural beauty. You radiate glamour from within.

Me? Not so much. I work at it. Obviously!

***********************************

Bare Minerals falls mostly in the 2-3 ranking. I was thinking it would be lower than that but...what do I know? What I do know is my skin has been much happier since I made the complete switch from the other makeups to the Bare line. I'm not going back anytime soon, if ever.

Oh my oh my! You are so right. The VS's lip glosses are uber yummy and the best part? They aren't gummy!

Anonymous said...

[color=#e1771e]Interesting post! thank you for sharing this information. livingthelifemoonthego.blogspot.com really got under my
[/color] [url=http://nuscin-online.info]skin,[/url] [color=#e1771e]bookmarked... Keep up the good site...[/color]